West Yorkshire - India Trade Mission 2022
With a regional economy larger than nine EU countries and unbeatable quality of life, find out why West Yorkshire is the ideal place for your next investment
West Yorkshire is the heart of the North and an internationally significant region in its own right.
We are one of the UK’s most attractive locations for development and inward investment, and an ideal location for businesses to thrive and expand.
Bradford was voted the best city to start a business by Barclays, and Leeds is home to the most scale-up businesses outside of London.
Our region is regularly named among the happiest and best places to live in the UK, thanks to its combination of major cities, diverse towns and stunning countryside, with excellent national and international connectivity.
- Home to over 2.3 million people
- 1.1 million workforce
- 80,000+ businesses
- Our £57.9bn regional economy is larger than nine EU countries
- Two-hour direct train journey to London Kings Cross
- Global air links via Leeds Bradford Airport
- More scale-ups than any other area outside London and the South East
- Seven universities, producing 31,000 graduates a year
- Home to over 170 ethnic groups with over 104 languages spoken
- More people aged under 20 than any other area of the North
A strong and close relationship
West Yorkshire and India have a long and close history, with £363 million of trade in goods between them in 2019.
The trade mission follows a successful visit by the Consul General of India, Dr Shashank Vikram, and senior officials from the Indian High Commission to West Yorkshire in March 2022.
It represents an ideal opportunity to build on the continued, significant investment and expansion by Indian companies in the region.
trade in goods between India and West Yorkshire
Recent investments by Indian companies into West Yorkshire include:
- Clean Slate’s new partnership with Yorkshire Cricket and filming for their upcoming Netflix film "Chakda 'Xpress"
- The launch of Mphasis’ new UK Centre of Excellence in Leeds
- Mastek’s ambitious new graduate programme and expansion plans in Leeds
- The Leeds-based UK HQ and Media Centre for Prime Focus Technologies
- The UK manufacturing and active pharmaceutical ingredients site for Dr Reddy’s, based in Kirklees
- Filming the Bollywood move "Gold" with Akshay Kumar in Bradford with over 2,000 local extras involved in the production
Delivering for West Yorkshire
With Tracy Brabin as the first Mayor of West Yorkshire, the Combined Authority and Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership are investing £1.8bn over the coming decades to help make our region an even better place to live, work, visit and do business.
We are working hard to fulfill the Mayor’s pledges to the people of West Yorkshire around jobs, skills, the economic recovery, transport, homes, safety and tackling the climate emergency to become a net zero region by 2038.
Her election is bringing greater spending and powers under local control as part of the UK's largest regional devolution deal. It means that decisions currently taken in London will be taken in West Yorkshire, by people who know and understand our region.
Get the facts
Real time insights and material that businesses will find useful to base their investment decisions on and will help investors recognise the true potential of our fantastic region.
Key sector factsheets